Monday, September 8, 2014

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy


As a serious reader of classic literature finishing the book "War and Peace" is much the same as a serious runner completing his first marathon. I had read "Moby Dick" (a little too much information about whales for me) and "Les Miserables" (too much information about the Paris sewer system for me)so I felt I had completed some half marathons of reading. However reading "War and Peace" is in a whole other class. I read the Maude translation which I felt was easy to read and had helpful footnotes. It also included some illustrations which also helped. The fact that the book is divided into small chapters or sections also helped.

The novel is set in Russia during the invasion of Napoleon from approximately 1805 to 1812. The focus is on different Russian aristocrats and their lives during this changing time. It is also about the Russian army and its response to Napoleon. There is a lot of history in the details about the battles between the Russians and the French which is explained in the notes included along with the Maude translation. The research Tolstoy would have had to do to write about the war is mind boggling.

The characters are complex and described is such detail they become alive and the story stays with you. The fact that I read "Give War and Peace a Chance" which I reviewed previously on this blog, gave me the courage to go ahead and start reading "War and Peace." It is an experience that will enrich your reading and give you a sense of accomplishment.

"War and Peace" must be considered one of the greatest works of fiction ever written and I am in awe of Leo Tolstoy and his writing ability. Reading this book is not for the faint of heart as it requires a great deal of perseverance to continue through it and finish it, but for me it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment