Friday, December 11, 2015

I'm Happy for You (Sort Of...Not Really) by Kay Wills Wyma

I'm Happy for You (Sort Of...Not Really)Comparing ourselves to others is a deadly trap. It can lead to discontentment, envy and rob us of joy. Kay Wills Wyma discusses how we can find contentment in a culture of comparison through her experiences and the experiences of her children. As a mother of five, she has many illustrations of coping with friends who are thinner, wealthier, and have children who excel more than hers. In sharing about this, the author points out that we only see a "glimpse" of the other person's life and story and really do not know what is all going on with them in their life. I really appreciated her humor and practical wisdom in dealing with this topic.

Even though my children are grown and I am at a different stage of life than the author, I can still relate to the temptation of comparing myself and my life to others. I think it is a human tendency that everyone can relate to. I thoroughly enjoyed this thought provoking book, and will try to remember the next time someone goes on about all of their accomplishments or those of their children, to respond with "I am happy for you."

There are discussion questions at the back of the book which would make it a good choice for a book discussion group or as part of a Bible study. I highly recommend this entertaining and informative book.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment